Followers

Joyful Java


Friday, November 5, 2010

Speaking Softly

Becky over at The Word of God and a Cup of Joe (one of my favorite blogs if you haven't guessed already) posted today on how God uses music to speak to us. That got me thinking...

The other day, Jonah was doing something in the kitchen and Esther Grace was hanging off of me as usual. Jonah's been into the crashing, smashing, hi-ya!, blow 'em up kindof mood lately. I couldn't take it anymore! I could feel the tension in my just building and I was trying to keep it under control. Did you catch that? Me. No prayers. No verses in my mind. (Psalm 119:11) Just me. You can guess what happened next?

Yep. Lost it. Really lost it. He took off running to his room and slammed the door. His bed is his "quiet place" and I've noticed that when I sin against him, that's his refuge. (It's bad that I know this. It should tell you how flawed I am in my parenting.) I knew I'd gone overboard but I'm the Mom. He's got to learn to respect authority, right? I always have music playing in my kitchen and right at this point Watermark's "Who Am I?" was playing in the background.

Over time You've healed so much in me
And I am living proof
That although my darkest hour had come
Your light could still shine through.
And though at times it's just enough to cast
A shadow on the wall
Well, I am grateful that you shine your light on me at all

Who am I that You would love me so gently?
Who am I that You would recognize my name?
Lord, who am I that You would speak to me so softly?
Conversation with the Love most high...
Who am I?

Well, amazing grace how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found
Was blind but now I see
And the more I sing that sweet old song the more I understand
That I do not comprehend this love that's coming from Your hand.

Who am I that You would love me so gently?
Who am I that You would recognize my name?
Lord, who am I that You would speak to me so softly?
Conversation with the Love most high...
Who am I?

There's more but the chorus spoke the most to me. Discipline is love. (Proverbs 3:12, Hebrews 12:6) I've just been studying that in Isaiah 10. (I haven't mentioned Isaiah in a while. Had to throw him in!) My discipline of Jonah should be a picture of God's discipline of His people. That's my job as a parent: to make God real and relevant. My discipline should be consistent. It should be just, guiding him in the correct path. It should be gentle and loving. Yeah- ouch.

I went to his room, apologized, and asked for forgiveness. Because as a parent, I also model our relationship with the Lord. And when we sin, we must approach Him, repent, and ask for forgiveness. It's not a sign of weakness. It's a sign of growth.

How has God used music to speak to you? Any favorite artists or songs? I'm always looking for more to listen to!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...