Followers

Joyful Java


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SSMT #6

It's that time again! This time, I really wanted a short verse so I chose Hebrews 10:35.

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded."

Simple. Sweet. To the point. But it's not without reason. The entire passage preceeding this verse talks about the endurance and commitment we have when we first embrace Christ and His commands. Knowing that we are being called to live counter-cultural lives in light of my Isaiah study this year and Bear's India trip, I thought this would be a good verse to cling to when facing opposition from those who may not understand. I wanted to also remember the reference of Hebrews 10 so I'll know where to turn during those times and focus on God's Truth rather than my surrounding circumstances. Perfect, right? I thought so too.

I logged on to the Siesta blog and went to post my verse. Then, I read this and God completely changed my heart. So now, instead of a simple one-liner to jumpstart my mind on a larger reference, I'm memorizing not one but two verses.

"My goal is that their hearts, having been knit together in love, may be encouraged, and that they may have all the riches of understanding of the knowledge of the mystery of God, namely Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

Colossians 2:2-3 (The NET Bible)

While I was reading Beth's post, He just whispered to me that this is the perfect prayer for any future opposition. Not that I will firmly stand up underneath it but that He will knit our hearts together in love and that we will be encouraged to continue following Him so that we may know have full understanding of the mysteries He has for us. Our treasures lie in Christ alone and He is the only source of all wisdom and knowledge. It may not be a simple, sweet, straight to the point journey.

After all, Bear and I are completely clueless as to what He's even calling us to do! But we know that He's preparing our hearts for something and it won't be what we expect. It may be complicated and not fit into our current structure of life (like memorizing two verses when I'm really only supposed to pick one each time), but He is faithful and will reveal all the riches of complete obedience when we get there.

Until then, I guess I'm memorizing two verses.

2 comments:

His Jules said...

Finally found my verse:

Philippians 2:3-4 HCSB
"Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves.Everyone should look out not [only] for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."

Good Memorizing to both of us!

Melia said...

I am memorizing 2 this time also!!! With allergies and a sick kid, I just was able to post my SSMT tonight. I wasn't even sure what verse was going to be the one for me. I sat down with my Bible and as I started to head towards Thessalonians or I was even thinking maybe in James, it fell open to Psalm 139 and at some point in time I had highlighted verses 23 & 24.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (NIV)

I have really been having some anxious thoughts and I know that I have been offensive in ways to the Lord this week. I really felt stuck in a funk. And then he gives me these!! Apparently God has us all needing to step up to more than just a verse!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...