Followers

Joyful Java


Sunday, July 25, 2010

Getting My Feet Wet

Church today was awesome. Have you ever felt like everything was geared just for you? It's a shame that everyone had to be there today just on my account because that's exactly how I felt. Recently there have been a few changes in my life regarding God and my service for Him. I've been at home with the youngsters for as long as I can remember. I've always served in the Preschool department no matter where I've attended. I even taught the little ones when I had a real job! Well, God has decided that I'm done there and has moved me to the youth. At first, I thought He was crazy. But then again, some would say that there's not much difference between the preschoolers and the youth. Anyone who's the mother of a teenager will testify to that. In all actuality, God had some pretty big changes in store for our church's preschool and children's ministries. He knew that I would not be able to handle these changes well if I was fully entrenched in the ministries so He moved me out early for my own protection. Isn't He amazing?! It's just this week that I've seen His guidance come full circle and I'm pretty awed by His love for me.

Today all started during worship. We were singing "Come Thou Fount", which I love but Bear says I just like the hymns because I'm old. Anyways, the phrase "tune my heart to sing thy praise" got to me today. Maybe because our new worship leader has a pink clippy thing that tunes his guitar. I don't know. I do know that my mind instantly started doing that Google thing where it runs in a million different directions that all are connected somehow. Think "6 Degrees of Separation" on steroids. I thought that guitars are usually tuned by either clipping the strings or twisting the knobs on the neck. Pianos are tuned by twisting the strings also. When I played trumpet, I used a stopper plug thingy in the end of it to alter the sound. Either way, usually when an instrument's tuned, there's some kind of twisting, clipping, plugging, pushing, pulling stuff going on. Isn't that just what the Lord does to us? He gets us out of our comfort zone and twists us so He can work. Sometimes it even takes me putting a plug in it long enough for Him to speak. And when I'm tuned to where He wants me, it always results in praise.

This week is also YOUTH CAMP!!!!! Yes, I will be attending with both my babies and TEACHING a breakout session to the middle school and high school girls. Good grief! Can you say "freaked out"?! Did I mention that Bear may or may not be there the whole week? What in the world?!

Well, in preparation for camp we talked about Joshua and the Israelites. In order to enter the Promised Land, they had to cross a river. At flood stage. With a million people or so. Yeah, okay. In Joshua 3:1-4, God tells the people to follow the ark, which represented His Presence among them. "Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before" (Joshua 3:4). Um, okay God. Gotcha. I've been scared to death working with my group of girls. They are the sweetest things and so precious but it's just different and I've never been here before. Sound familiar? Okay, so He's got my back. But it's TOMORROW!!!!! I haven't even packed yet! And I'm taking my kids, Lord. Did You remember that or did You just think they could pack themselves? Then we got to verse 5: "Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you". Yep. Just for me. So tonight, I'm consecrating myself. Washing myself clean from all anxiety and doubt and ready for the Lord to do amazing things.

I ask for you to please pray for....

  1. Obviously safety traveling and throughout the week as the kids will be playing paintball, white water rafting, etc. (John 17:15)
  2. That while teaching, the words coming out of my mouth will be His and not my own. (Isaiah 51:16) Bear's also teaching breakout sessions at the beginning of the week so please pray for Him as well.
  3. A long-suffering patience with my children. (Proverbs 14:29)
  4. Nap time or some semblance of it somewhere during our day so evening worship isn't a bust. (I mean for my kids but I'll probably need one before the week's over!) (Proverbs 3:24)
  5. The kids will be receptive to the Spirit and boldly act in obedience to His convictions. (2 Corinthians 9:13)
I think that covers it. I could list a million things really quickly but this post is already long enough! I'll try to post some pictures from camp if I can. Thank ya'll and remember us! :)
"Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water's edge, the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away...The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground." Joshua 3:15-17

2 comments:

Amy said...

praying for you! can't wait to hear how it goes!! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen...you are AMAZING and will do great this week! I've missed our time together and look forward to catching up next week. Can't wait to hear about camp. Love, T


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...