Followers

Joyful Java


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Customs & Lee Greenwood

Well, Tantie is married off and we're back from Mexico! I will definitely fill you in later on all the exciting details but for now, I'm just going to try and get some laundry done and our bags unpacked. I will let you in on a little secret though.

Whenever I travel abroad, which is not as often as I prefer, I inevitably end up in customs upon arriving back in the U.S. This happens to be one of my most favorite things about traveling. One might think I would cherish the memories of visiting exotic cultures or seeing some of history's greatest treasures.....no. The very best part of traveling is standing in the lines of smelly, exhausted, irritable passengers approaching customs.

First of all, visitors to the U.S. are herded to the right while residents continue on until they reach a string of counters manned by agents sitting in their little booths. Already I feel like I'm beating the system. Once settled into a shorter line by the booth of my choice, I get my passport out and ready to hand over to the smiling face behind the desk. They always ask me about my travels which gives me a small opportunity to briefly live in my fantasy world where I'm a recurrent jet-setter just back from my lastest excursion. Little do I realize, the lack of stamps in my little blue book give away my secret. The agent scans the computer screen, probably checking to make sure I'm not an international fugitive since I do have such an air of mystery, and here it comes......

He picks up his little round stamp......

Smacks it right on my page......

Looks up at me squarely in the eye.....

And as "Proud To Be An American" begins to faintly echo in my mind, he says.....

"Welcome home, Mrs. Keeling."

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...