Followers

Joyful Java


Friday, January 28, 2011

Quick Answers

Okay, I've really been slacking lately! I'm pretty sure I'm cursed with all things related to technology. For the longest time, my phone wouldn't charge. Bear got me a new one & now that one won't charge! Unless he plugs it in. Weird, I know. Then, our computer got this weird pop-up virus thing that won't let me into any sort of application. For now, it's completely disappeared for no apparent reason so I'm taking full advantage. I've called Geek Squad & they'll fix it...for $200.00. Who has that type of free cash just laying around? Not us. So, I think I'm just going to lay hands on our Hewlatt Packard & pray for the best.

I know I posted last on some unanswered prayer during my fast. The Lord is so good! He answered me despite my imperfection. Doesn't He always do that though? Answer us despite ourselves? I'll quickly let you know what He's been doing.

I fasted from sugar & caffeine...which meant no easy breakfast in the morning. Nothing convenient like Pop Tarts or a cinnamon bagel. No. I had to make oatmeal (a huge 5 minutes) or scramble some eggs (again 5 minutes). Really it wasn't that much more time but it seemed like it. It took more effort. Sometimes, God calls us to areas of ministry that take a little more effort. We just can't always take the easy route.

My diet was a bit more healthier during my fast. Instead of grabbing a Hershey Kiss for a little snack, I'd grab a handful of baby carrots. I abstained from dessert (a biggie for me). I didn't drink sweet tea but just water. Boring water. It wasn't the most enjoyable change but it was the healthiest. Sometimes, God calls us to an area of ministry that might not be the most enjoyable but it's the healthiest for our spiritual walk.

I craved sweets all week. I crave them now & my fast is over. Something about not having them intensified my need desire for them. Honestly, when I spend time away from God, my cravings for Him don't intensify. They grow dull. It's easier to brush off my quiet times in the mornings. Paul said it best: "For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." (Romans 7:18-19) I'm like Paul and my sinful desire instensify the more I satisfy it. But God's Word is the ultimate satisfying dessert!

"The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the LORD are firm, and all of them are righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb." Psalm 19:9-10

The biggest passage of Scripture that hit me was in Isaiah 36. King Hezekiah's being attacked by Assyria, power nation of it's time. Three of his officials go out to meet the Assyrian field commander who mocks Judah, Hezekiah, and God in front of everyone. The officials ask the commander to speak in Assyrian instead of Hebrew so that the people along the city walls wouldn't be able to understand what they were talkng about. The field official refuses & continues his mocks in Hebrew trying to divide Judah's people, cause rebellion against Hezekiah, and ultimately God and His Plan. In verse 21, it says, "But the people remained silent and said nothing in reply, because the king had commanded, “Do not answer him.” Hezekiah later takes the enemy's attack in letter form, goes to the temple, and spreads it all before the Lord. What in the world does this have to do with anything?

Well- I've recently been attacked with logical arguments of why I can't continue in my current ministries. I'm the mother of two small children. I need to focus on them while they're at home & don't have the school distractions. It's too much time & stress. Let others who have more free time do it & I can do it once my turn comes around. Logical arguments spoken to me in my language. The enemy knows all of my fears & he can present them in arguments like no other. Hezekiah's people stood in silent trust knowing God would ultimately deliver them. So that's what I am to do. Stand in silent trust of my God knowing He called me to this ministry & He will deliver me from every difficulty. All I need to do is take it straight to Him, spread it all out, and wait.

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...